On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Bill W4ZV <btipp...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Bill W4ZV wrote:
>>
>> An unmodified K3's IF OUT has 7-17 dB transfer loss that cannot be
>> compensated for in ANY panadaptor, so the mod is necessary for the P3.
>>
>> http://cliftonlaboratories.com/elecraft_k3_and_panadapters.htm#What_then_is_the_transfer_gain_of_the_K3_
>>

> Jack Smith's comment on the page above "Telepostinc's LP-PAN has a built-in
> amplifier to overcome the transfer gain problem." is incorrect.  LP-PAN
> **DOES** require the mod and N8LP posted a mod similar to Elecraft's back in
> July 2008.

Sorry, but it's NOT *required*. It may be strongly recommended, but
it's not required. I've been using LP-Pan successfully for months
without the mod. I'm sure it's not optimal. and once in a while there
are signals that I can copy by ear through the K3 that CW Skimmer
can't decode, but to say that the mod is *required* is a bit of an
overstatement.

Quoting from N8LP's website:

"K3 Buffer Mod Simple mod that improves noise floor of panadapter
display by reducing loss in the K3 IF output. Not required, but some
users have found it well worth the effort. The link takes you the
Files section of the LP-PAN User Group. Elecraft now offers a mod kit
very similar to ours, and has incorportated the mod into current
production K3s."

    ~Iain / N6ML