Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2 wrote:

> Sorry, but it's NOT *required*. It may be strongly recommended, but
> it's not required. I've been using LP-Pan successfully for months
> without the mod. I'm sure it's not optimal. and once in a while there
> are signals that I can copy by ear through the K3 that CW Skimmer
> can't decode, but to say that the mod is *required* is a bit of an
> overstatement.

Perhaps not if you're happy to give away 17 dB of sensitivity.  My primary
use of LP-PAN is for a waterfall to detect weak signals on 160.  It was
obvious when I first got LP-PAN working in April 2008 that there was a major
sensitivity problem.

http://n2.nabble.com/K3-Buffer-Mod-tt741709.html#a741709
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2008-05/msg00357.html

73,  Bill