Quite true...
Also, with an SDR, just like any other SW based gear, the SW has to work.
The hardware is useless if the software is broken. All it takes is one or
two hefty bugs to get by their QA and you're screwed. At that point, you
have to get the manufacturer a) to reproduce/recognize the bug and b) fix it
in a timely manner. If you're fighting a 3rd party issue (i.e. a bug in
Windows or some other software an SDR depends on), you're potentially dead
in the water with a total loss. These are _big_ challenges to SW customers
as we all know.

With fully hardware/firmware defined rigs like our elecrafts and others
we're not as dependent on that. I.e. elecraft writes the firmware and
designs the hardware so they own the whole thing. And 3rd party issues
aren't going to be nearly as big of a factor....

LS
W5QD, K2 #6882