On Apr 30, 2017, at 8:43 AM, Max Goldstein <maxgoldste...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fourth, web components were briefly mentioned. Richard gave a talk on these
> last year and it seems like everything you need already works.

Specifically, on this, no. The virtual DOM API does not make the sort of
specific commitments one would need in order to know that a web component with
its own state would not get accidentally destroyed and recreated rather than
preserved. The code that works today just happens to work because the virtual
DOM implementation just happens to do certain things that just happen to work
out right. An example of the sort of guarantee that would resolve this would be
"keyed nodes always preserved keyed child identity on updates provided you
don't assign the same key to multiple children". That comes with caveats about
what won't work and you have to make sure the path is stable all the way up the
DOM and not just at the component, but if you obey the rules, it promises that
something will work and keep working. Html.Keyed makes no such guarantee and as
I recall when I last looked at the code it didn't look like the implementation
would be likely to support such a guarantee.

On the broader issue, Elm is free code and it does what it does and being free,
people have no right to ask for anything more. But similarly people need to
figure out whether the benefit they are getting is valuable enough to stick
around v some of the other options that have been bandied about on this thread
such as moving to other languages or forking Elm (thereby essentially creating
another language). The talk here does not in general seem focused on going
elsewhere but rather on what sort of changes in process and policy would quell
the concerns. Remember that this thread started with an engaged community
member leaving because using Elm had lead him to more failures than successes.
People ought to ask "is that likely to be the case for me as well" and the
community ought to ask "how might we fix the things that resulted in those
failures?" You are right that this code is being made available free by Evan
(or by NoRedInk since they are funding his work) and as such, it's his call.
But similarly, it is a call for everyone using Elm as to whether it is still
working out or whether they would be better off placing their bets elsewhere.

Mark