On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 2:08 AM, Oliver Searle-Barnes <oli...@opsb.co.uk>
wrote:

> At a practical level I see two parts to this:
>
> 1) Better javascript interop to allow the community to provide the missing
> web APIs and effect managers (task ports have been mooted on several
> occasions)
>
> 2) A development process that encourages the use of packages from the
> wider community _before_ they've had sufficient design attention and
> matured to the point where they may be considered gold standard.

[...]

I don't want to be too prescriptive here but one suggestion might be to
> introduce the concept of a quality or status metric for each package e.g.
> exploratory, draft, candidate, ready (those were chosen purely for
> illustrative purposes). This would allow the community to benefit from each
> other's work without requiring any compromise in standards. Versus forcing
> every team to reimplement the same things with ports this seems like a
> distinct improvement (IMHO). Potentially packages could even be kept in an
> entirely different package site until they'd graduated to
> http://package.elm-lang.org/. (this would allow beginners to be kept in a
> safer environment until they needed to reach into the community packages)

The current elm compiler allows this and if there is enough developer
desire, this can be done through tooling without requiring any change to
the compiler or the core.
By going the apocryphal way we could, in theory, even implement the missing
SemVer and make the apocryphal Kernel libraries start with a 0 further
emphasizing that it is experimental code.

There is danger in this approach BUT, if a good enough process is put
behind it and there are a group of experienced Elm programmers monitoring
it, I think that it can provide a lot of value for people who want to move
in areas that are currently unsupported by Elm.

--
There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/