> First, I'm going to call out the air of ungratefulness and animosity in
> this thread. Evan is giving you software for free, and it's software that's
> good enough that you invest your time into writing it and commenting about
> it.

Just to be clear, in case this is directed at me in part or as a whole. I
forgot to mention that I highly respect Evan's work (in fact my company
logo is on the front page of the elm website). This is important to mention
whenever you offer any criticism, I apologize for not adding this
counterweight to soften the blow. I forgot to consider how it might be
taken. I wrote the postscript in a bit of a hurry and should have moderated
down a bit I think. I generally try very hard to stay on point and fill my
posts with information-dense arguments so that people will respond to the
content rather than the tone.

To also add a bit of a positive spin to this, we've been making a push to
make greater use of Elm at my work, so this is why I've become more
interested in the health and sustainability of the ecosystem. We currently
have a couple of internal screens in development that are 100% Elm. The
experience has been pretty nice so far, though it took a little bit of time
to aclimate to the Elm way. For a Haskell shop like ours it might have been
more appropriate to use PureScript as it is better aligned with the skills
we have in our team. However I think that Elm is a viable candidate and I
sincerely hope that Evan will succeed in bringing it to the masses (and I
think he should).

I'm hesitant, but perhaps just one meta-thought. I think that people here
sometimes misattribute fear or even (misguided?) attempts at being helpful
as animosity. I think a more moderated, and less reactionary approach to
responding to people would also contribute to a less inflammatory
environment and fewer of these meta discussions in general. Perhaps even
just a friendly reminder quoted from the rules or something if you think it
is appropriate.

My apologies for further increasing the length of this thread, seems like
someone will need to start over with a concrete topic.