On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Steve Stallings wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:46:13 -0500
> From: Steve Stallings <steve...@newsguy.com>
> To: 'EMC developers' <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] Preempt-RT ... where to put the patches ?
>
> Peter,
>
> Good point about interrupt jitter mattering less if
> the actual sample time does not jitter. Unfortunately
> the current RTAI setup requires that the interrupt
> comes from the host interrupt timers. If we could
> get to a system model where the hardware could
> sample the data at the same time that it also
> requests an interrupt, then the actual interrupt
> latency would be much less critical. The PC system
> design does not bring out the interrupt request
> anywhere, so syncing with it in hardware is not
> possible, nor can RTAI (as best I know) accept an
> interrupt from external hardware as the system timer.

What I was thinking about is living with the jitter, that is changing the math
so that jitter is compensated for. This mostly means that any time the
constant thread time is used in a PID/stepgen/motion calculations, the actual
thread actuation time is used (jitter and all). That is if we can measure the
jitter (we have a low overhead high resolution timer to read) we can
compensate for it.

For servo systems (or pseudo servo systems like hardware stepgens) jitter
should really only cause second order errors ( commanded accell errors not
velocity errors)

As it is (without actual thread time factored in) even in an unaccelerated
portion of a motion profile, a 10% jitter (say the D510s 100 Usec at a 1 KHz
thread time) will cause the PID loop to see a 10 % velocity error (when in
fact there may be no error at all).

> I wonder if Preempt-RT may be more flexible.
>
> Steve Stallings (unrepentant top poster)

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)