First off I would like to say I hope no one is taking this personally.
John has done _TONS_ of work on the docs over the last few years
and has done a great job.

    looks like Kim is willing to do lots of work too and I think he expected
a discussion.
Maybe we need a formal guide line written in the wiki...
anyways to answer John T:

    >>I did separate hardware drivers from software drivers and that
    seemed to make sense at the time. I/O Drivers does make better sense
    to me than the 2.4 layout.

I/O drivers (or similar) makes sense to me if you were using the manual to
reference
what hardware drivers are available. Having them separate is ok if you already
know what your looking for... I was glad when you separated them before.

          'Realtime components' I'm not sure why these particular
          components are listed

          on their own.

    >>I added the realtime components to the Integrators manual so new
    users would be exposed to them when reading the pdf version.
    Otherwise they were well hidden in man pages and the online html if
    you scrolled down far enough and knew what your were looking at

You are referring to 2.4 docs, in 2.5 'Realtime components' has info on
HALMETER,STEPGEN,PWMGEN etc.
listing all the realtime components as 2.4 docs did is under heading 'Hal
components' in 2.5
I agree that listing them is important and is one of the reasons I always used
the HTML docs.

          And really I think the HAL file should be made smaller and be
          about basic use of

          HAL and a few of it's tricks for diagnosing problems.

    >My goal was to make the HAL manual about using HAL by it self in a
    stand alone environment and that is the state of the 2.4 docs. KimK
    decided that anything to do with HAL belonged in the HAL manual and
    removed all the HAL info that integrators would use and placed it in
    the hal manual.

          Chris M

          The rest of HAL belongs in the integrators manual as HAL is
          mostly what an

          integrator has to deal with.

It would probably be helpful if Kim would chime in and mention his 2 cents
worth / vision.

Chris M