I've crawled through the TI documentation and made a table of the
available pins (see the bottom of stepgen.p in the am335x branch).

PRU Pins connected on the BeagleBone P8/P9 headers:
PRU0 has 8 output pins and 4 input pins connected.

PRU1 has 1 input pin and 14 pins that can be configured as in or out
connected.

In addition, either PRU can talk directly to *ANY* of the GPIO pins,
but not as quickly as the dedicated PRU I/O.

Also, HAL itself can talk directly to the GPIO pins for signals that
do not need to be watched at the base thread rate (ie: home/limit
switches, coolant on/off, etc).

On 2/5/2013 9:02 AM, Gregory Perry wrote:
> There are two (2) 200MHz RISC cores that constitute the PRUSS
> subsystem on the BeagleBone.  Each can address eight (8) pins on
> the expansion headers, for a total of 16 pins.
> ________________________________________ From: Gene Heskett
> [ghesk...@wdtv.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 9:52 AM To:
> emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net Subject: [Emc-developers]
> BeagleBone question
>
> Greetings all;
>
> There has been a discussion of the BeagleBone's 'PRU' (I think I
> got the acronym right) in terms of using it as a stepper driver.
> That does sound promising, but no one has said so far, how many of
> these PRU's can be programmed on one BeagleBone.  As it appears to
> have more than enough GPIB pins to get the job done, the question I
> have is:  How many of these PRU's can it actually maintain and
> service?
>
> $125 for the devel kit is a price I'm not doing if its $125 per
> stepper being controlled.  But if it can do a PRU per GPIB pin, its
> going to be a lot more appetizing.
>
> And even moreso when a breakout board has been built for a
> reasonable price that actually gives us the ability to use all of
> the GPIB pins, which will approximately double the number of pins
> available from a parport setup.
>
> Cheers, Gene -- "There are four boxes to be used in defense of
> liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author) My web page:
> <http://coyoteden.dyndns-free.com:85/gene> is up! My views
> <http://www.armchairpatriot.com/What%20Has%20America%20Become.shtml>

Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.
> I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting harder and
> harder to find any...

- --
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net