On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 07:20:20PM -0500, Matt Shaver wrote:

> I'll go out on a limb here and say that only Paul is likely to be
> "unwilling". I base this belief on my impression of the many people I
> have met over the years in connection with this project.
>
> Now, "un-contactable" is something quite different.

I think you are right and uncontactable is likely to be the bigger
problem.  The list of authors in git has kind of a long tail, with
around half of them having < 5 commits.

> I'm wondering if we
> can even come up with a complete list of contributors.

The git history has all the history (from emc2 CVS) that we know
about.  It's simple to extract a list of authors from that, but it's
back past my memory/involvement exactly how the initial import was
done (and who did it) and when exactly the new license was applied.

I see some surprising GPL declarations in the 2005 version of emc(1)
but the most important one (emcmot) has the "and additional rights"
which I think is what you were saying in a previous message.  I
think that particular MODULE_LICENSE incantation was a pragmatic lie
to avoid "tainting" the kernel.  Many of the rest are in retired
code (stripchart) or guis, where we have lots of options.