On Saturday 08 September 2018 15:05:48 Chris Morley wrote:

> I see that machinekit has broken out HAL and cnc (Well and lots of
> others) into different repositories.
>
> https://github.com/machinekit
>
> [https://avatars1.githubusercontent.com/u/6759549?s=280&v=4]<https://g
>ithub.com/machinekit>
>
> machinekit ยท GitHub<https://github.com/machinekit>
> github.com
> GitHub is where people build software. More than 28 million people use
> GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 85 million projects.
>
> It also seems they have updated HAL considerably,
>
> They were working on RT multicore support, anytime instantiation of
> HAL components
>
> cython support.. probably other stuff - I'm not sure if it includes
> ARM or FPGA upgrades.
>

> I was thinking that maybe linuxcnc should discuss if that is something
> that would be of interested.
>

> pros I see:
>
> -chance to break HAL out of cnc stack
>
> -seemingly an upgrade in capability
>
> -someone else has done a lot of work/testing already
>
> -might allow more cross work of developers between the projects
>

> cons:
>
> -surely a lot of work to incorporate (though it does support legacy
> code, if I understand right)
>
> -lack of experience with concepts/code - will take time to become
> comfortable
>
> -we'd have to admit they are not bad people :)
>

> Ok that last one was meant as fun.
>

> There are very smart and hard working people on both projects, it
> would be nice to benefit both
>
> projects.
>

> I have not really looked at the code, nor am qualified to give indepth
> opinion of the code.
>
> I have watched the video of the multicore idea.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brT0bEkJLSY
>
> There are more videos (including one about the trajectory planner that
> we now use)
>

> Thoughts?
>

> Chris M

Tom's accent is pretty thick to this old Iowa farm kid, and his audio a/d
is being overdriven and is clipping the audio pretty bad, so I'm missing
some details while watching the video, but I rather like the basic
outline as it would also appear to make a realtime kernel much less
important (or I don't fully understand due to the accent). In any event,
it seems like its worth investigating. Particularly in view of the fact
that 8 core arm64's are already shipping.

Twould be most encouraging if a 40 to 50 MHz spi interface has been
developed to interface to the likes of a mesa 7i90.  Or a fast parport
has been done on the gpio available on these credit card sized things.

No negative vibes from here IOW.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)