I see that machinekit has broken out HAL and cnc (Well and lots of others) into
different repositories.

https://github.com/machinekit

[https://avatars1.githubusercontent.com/u/6759549?s=280&v=4]<https://github.com/machinekit>

machinekit ยท GitHub<https://github.com/machinekit>
github.com
GitHub is where people build software. More than 28 million people use GitHub
to discover, fork, and contribute to over 85 million projects.

It also seems they have updated HAL considerably,

They were working on RT multicore support, anytime instantiation of HAL
components

cython support.. probably other stuff - I'm not sure if it includes ARM or FPGA
upgrades.

I was thinking that maybe linuxcnc should discuss if that is something that
would be of interested.

pros I see:

-chance to break HAL out of cnc stack

-seemingly an upgrade in capability

-someone else has done a lot of work/testing already

-might allow more cross work of developers between the projects

cons:

-surely a lot of work to incorporate (though it does support legacy code, if I
understand right)

-lack of experience with concepts/code - will take time to become comfortable

-we'd have to admit they are not bad people :)

Ok that last one was meant as fun.

There are very smart and hard working people on both projects, it would be nice
to benefit both

projects.

I have not really looked at the code, nor am qualified to give indepth opinion
of the code.

I have watched the video of the multicore idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brT0bEkJLSY

There are more videos (including one about the trajectory planner that we now
use)

Thoughts?

Chris M