On 09/08/2018 07:27 PM, Chris Morley wrote:
Jon

I'm not sure where they are at with replacing NML, but that is not what I was
talking of.

They have split the cnc stack from the HAL stack

HAL is what I am talking of, which would include the realtime code I suppose.

Anybody, NOW, can download LinuxCNC and just USE the hal components of their choice, without ever using the G-code interpreter or trajectory planner. It has always been that way, although NOT well publicized.

But, yes, the LinuxCNC version of hal (I'm pretty sure) can only run on a single core. I can see some real issues to solve when different components are running on different cores concurrently. That could get quite complicated. Running different real time threads on different cores ought to be safe to do, but I kind of doubt our rtapi can handle that right now.

Jon