I think that this seems unnecessary and means that you can't simply
        run the sub as-is for a finish pass.

That's true, but you can do the finish pass with G70. If you do G70 Q100
it does the call with the chamfers and fillets.

        Why do it that way rather than specify a curve or line in the
        sub that defines the fillet / chamfer?

I don't have CAM software, yes I have FreeCAD but there's no lathe
functionality worth mentioning. So what I do is edit the g-code by
hand to generate the profile, if you do that adding a fillet is a lot
of work.  Which is also the reason why it is important for me to be able
to use variables/equations etc in the subroutines.

But anyway, it's not something you have to use, if you do these things in
the profile you don't use A and C and you can use CALL for finishing. If
you have a lathe with an A or C axis I don't think it is usefull to use
a subroutine using those axes with G71.

regards,

Mark.