I used to feel the same way, but I now use G71 for lathe work a lot more than I
use CAM.

For prototype work it isn't worth the time for me to mess around with
transferring programs on a floppy! The only time I'll use CAM on the lathe is
if I've got multiple backfacing ops.

One of the reasons I abandoned my G71 code was that my linuxcnc lathe had a
major control failure, I was offered a Haas TL-1 shortly afterwards at a price
I couldn't refuse.
Since picking that up I've gotten far more used to entering programs on the
control, with linuxcnc I always wrote the program on the computer and
transferred when ready to run.

I still use linuxcnc on the Bridgeport and the router, but don't have time to
keep up with development any more.

Best Wishes
Ben