On Sunday 28 March 2021 20:52:57 Jon Elson wrote:

> On 03/28/2021 04:18 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 at 19:40, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>
wrote:
> >> I was wondering if there was any possibility that LinuxCNC
> >> could support the Beagle Bone and Charles Steinkuehler's
> >> driver for the PRU.
> >
> > I have talked to Charles about it in the past (a few years ago) but
> > wasn't really interested enough at the time to experiment.
> >
> > It looks like the code will just drop into the LinuxCNC tree. But it
> > only compiles on the Beaglebone. I don't have one set up here at the
> > moment.
>
> Right, it would take somebody to set up the infrastructure.
>
> > If you want to try compiling this new branch:
> > https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/tree/andypugh/bb_pru
> >
> > A problem is that with no BBB buildslave, no packages will be built
> > by the buildbot.
>
> Compiling all of LinuxCNC on the Bone would not be as quick
> as on a decent X86 machine.
> I think it comes out maybe being 1/4 the speed.  That's
> probably still OK, though.
>
> Thanks, Andy and Bari for the comments.
>
> Jon

I, for comparison, I just built the latest git pull on my pi4, getting
these times, which I don't quite grok:
real    81m28.218s
user    133m40.185s
sys     30m24.466s

How do I get user+sys at nearly 2x the real which is the same as the
actual wall time?
===============
But I've a better Q re the pi4.  I lost my 1920x1080 screen, degraded now
to a 1366x768 a/o about 90 days back, presumably because of some kernel
incompatability due to the now 2 yo kernel I built and installed back
when the pi was a 3b.  So, does debian now have an rt kernel in their
buster armhf install, that is newer, and everything works, than the
4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ I've been running the pi4 with for about 18 months?

The latest kernels for intel are amazing, the kernel just installed today
on my 3 intel i5 boxes shows a servo thread latency of 3.5 u-secs, and
the uspace installs are now better than the RTAI stuff from 6 years ago.

Mainsteam linux has turned a corner and joined  _us_, not the other way
around. There has to be a BWG hidden in that. ;-)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis