Craig, this is a  common problem.  My experience is with North American
Manufacturers selling to Europe. In order to comply with the Low Voltage
Directive (LVD), and Self-Declare compliance with the CE Mark, one
applies an EN standard such as EN1010, for Test, Measurement and Control
Equipment, or EN60950, for Information Technology Equipment, and
implicit to each of these standards are blanket statements, such as
(paraphrasing only...) components must be suitable for the intended
jurisdiction, and that appropriate ratings shall be used....

So, this means that when a supply cord is used, inspite of the common
ground of the CE Mark and LVD, the country-by-country national marks are
STILL applicable for these kinds of items!! Not to mention the language
concerns, for explaining these kinds of details in manuals etc.

To avoid this problem I advise the majority of my clients with 'plug
gable' equipment, using a detachable cord, to simply omit the cord  and
advise that they are to be provided at the time of installation.

Non detachable corded equipment, unfortunately, should be appropriately
rated and certified for the country of destination. -- Alternately, if
so provided, the stripped end of the power cord can be deemed to be your
'field wiring terminals', and you can state that it is to be installed
by a licensed electrician or journeyman - your customer can then do
whatever they want, and yet you have complied with the LVD!!

I hope this helps!!

If anyone reading this has found other work-arounds on this issue, I
invite your comments!!!

Regards,

Rob Stirling, P.Eng.
Protocol
For COMPLETE safety, EMC, and regulatory
Compliance Engineering solutions call Protocol!!
ph 604 218 1762 fax 604 572 9408 Vancouver B.C.