Hi Craig:

The short answer to your questions is:

    Continue as you are currently doing (i.e., provide
    the correct cordset for the country of destination)

HP provides the correct cordset for the country of
destination.  (Almost all of our products are wide-
range, 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz.)  Yes, it is a pain to
stock all the different cordsets, making sure they
have all the required certifications, etc.!

The long answers to your questions are:

Adapters.

    As a general rule, adapters are not "legal" in most
    countries.  However, the rule is difficult to enforce
    when adapters are purchased in another country.  (For
    example, you can buy adapters in Singapore for export
    use only, but they cannot be used in Singapore, and
    you cannot find an adapter from a foreign plug to the
    Singapore plug.)

    Very few are certified for safety.

    A direct-plug-in with an adapter is unstable due to
    an increased moment arm, and due to the flexibility/
    looseness inherent to most plug/socket pairs.

    Most countries are deathly afraid of the USA (NEMA)
    plug because of the accessible blades during mating
    and dismating.  Remember, most countries are in the
    230-V range, which hurts a LOT MORE than 120-V!

I have the impression that adapters are for travelling folks
who want to use an appliance in another country on a
temporary basis.

>   * How can the connection to the AC mains be ensured when using a
>   plug adapter?

Depends on the quality of the adapter.  Most adapters are
built to accomodate the worst-case of the two plugs being
adapted.  Some adapters seem to have been designed WITHOUT
knowledge of the plug standards!  (I've found adapters where
the plug needs to be arranged just so to make contact.)

>   * One company claims they have a UL recognized plug adapter.
>   However, I can't find anything more with regards to safety certifications.
>   I don't think TUV will even certify this type of adapter.  What about the
>   other agencies?

Hmm.  I wonder what standards UL would use to evaluate an
adapter?  I would ask for a copy of the UL report!  Can you
tell us the brand and model?  Should be a higher quality
than I currently use (for my laptop, camcorder, and wife's
hair dryer.)

I don't know of any certification house that certifies
adapters.  However, I believe I have seen direct-plug-in
step-down (230 in, 120 out) units that are certified.

>   * Does anyone have any additional recommendations to help
>   accommodate the various worldwide plug styles?  I got to believe others
>   have gone through this same "dilemma".

See my opening comments.  "Been there, done that."

>   * How "acceptable" is it to provide a product without a cord and just
>   have the user procure the cord set applicable for their particular
>   country?

This is possible, but not very customer-friendly.  Just
as "Batteries not included," you would say "Power cord not
included."

>   * Is anyone aware of other manufacturers that include plug adapters
>   with their products?

No.

>   * Which is worse?  Providing the direct plug-in power supply with plug
>   adapters, or providing the "desk-top" power supply and detachable cord
>   set with plug adapters.

Direct-plug-in with adapters is worse because of the increased
moment arm.

Best wishes for the holiday season,
Rich

 Richard Nute                      Product Safety Engineer
 Hewlett-Packard Company           Product Regulations Group
 AiO Division                      Tel   :   +1 619 655 3329
 16399 West Bernardo Drive         FAX   :   +1 619 655 4979
 San Diego, California 92127       e-mail:  ri...@sdd.hp.com