Craig,

We faced the same dilemma with our products. Shipping word-wide and trying
to get all products to have the same certifications without question as to
destination was tough. In the end, we use an IEC320 appliance inlet on all
products and have in stock 10 different power cordsets. We make it a part
of the order entry process to ask the customer what cordset they want.
That way we do not stock 10 different product configurations but do have a
second line item on the customer order for the cordset. Since our products
are expensive enough and we only build to order, we get away with that.

I personally do not like adapters, even if I could find one that has
sufficient safety approvals. Don't know that you can find a standard that
prohibits them either.

I think in the end it becomes a marketing decision how to handle this,
i.e. how acceptable it is to ship with what configuration. If marketing
says that you must ship a cordset with each product and the cost of the
product or distribution method do not lend themselves to asking the
customer for a cordset preference, I think you have not much choice but to
make multiple configurations. One alternative we used at one time was to
have the distributors provide the cordset. They could either order them
from us or from their own sources.

Good luck.
Scott
s_doug...@ecrm.com