I read in !emc-pstc that richwo...@tycoint.com wrote (in <846BF526A205F8
4BA2B6045BBF7E9A6ABC4FEA@flbocexu05>) about 'EMC-related safety issues',
on Mon, 7 Jan 2002:
>John, I have to disagree with your statement, "As far as CENELEC is
>concerned, it was a conscious decision not to incorporate 'EMC and Safety'
>issues into EMC standards, but to treat it
>as a separate subject."

>If this is true, how do you explain the fact that the Alarm Systems immunity
>standard EN 50130-4 requires a higher immunity levels and that, per clause
>6, the acceptance criteria is per the requirements of a CENELEC performance
>standard if it is published - e.g. EN 50132-2-1 (CCTV cameras), EN50132-4-1
>(Access Control). This certainly appears to be safety related.

I was referring to the Generic and Basic Standards. But the cases you
cite are related to *false alarms* or the opposite, i.e. purely system
malfunction. Insofar as the standards apply to fire alarms and/or social
alarms, safety-of-life is a consequent issue. AFAIK, none of those more
stringent limits was determined according to the principles specified in
IEC61508.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.