  From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of cherryclo...@aol.com
  Sent: maandag 7 januari 2002 12:49
  To: ken.ja...@emccompliance.com
  Cc: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
  Subject: Re: EMC-related safety issues

  Sorry everyone!
  When I replied yesterday to Ken's posting I didn't spot an error he had made.

  He had assumed an incubator compliant to 1V/m close to a laptop, whereas the
question I originally posed concerned an incubator such as the one I had tested
that had full-scale temperature errors at 1V/m from 30 to 1000MHz.

  So I hope you'll all forgive me if I redo part of my reply. Here goes...

  Ken said (06/01/02 06:56:46 GMT Standard Time)...

    Would I feel comfortable placing a CISPR compliant PC next to a medical
device qualified to 1 V/m?  There is an inherent (not planned) margin of safety
here that is many orders of magnitude.   The answer is absolutely yes.  If
there were a problem, I would expect it more to occur below 30 MHz, at the
power supply switching frequency, IF the medical device processed extremely low
levels of electrical signals and was poorly shielded.  But I believe there are
separate immunity requirements which cover this eventuality as well.

  Firstly – my original question concerned how close one would be prepared to
place a fully-compliant laptop to the unmodified incubator, which as you will
recall I found to give full-scale temperature errors at 1V/m field strengths
from 30 to 1000MHz.

  An incubator that was qualified to 1V/m (as per Ken's reply above) would be
at least 28dB less sensitive to RF fields (assuming a square-law relationship
for error voltage versus field strength) and would be much more robust.

  In the EU such medical devices are expected to work properly in fields of at
least 3V/m (you can't rely on the CE mark as any guarantee), but I posed the
question about the unmodified incubator because I understand that outside of
the EU few countries have mandatory immunity regulations.

  Note that thermocouples have an output of between 3 and 50 uV/degreeC, so if
you want to achieve ±0.1C accuracy you are looking to keep error voltages below
0.3 to 5uV. It doesn't take much RF ingress to cause that level of error.

  Note also that traditional thermocouple amplifier design (such as commonly
seen in the 1960s and 1970s, and still lingering on in some products) brings
the thermocouple wires straight into an opamp. No shielding, no filtering, and
no CMR in the opamp at RF. Worst-case RF demodulation performance is almost a
certainty with such a design.

  Many other 'traditional' transducers using microvolt signal levels  used to
use amplifiers designed just as badly for EMC, and I sincerely hope there are
none of them left any more.

  Aside: A typical comment from a UK EMC test lab manager (this one from a
personal communication in 1998): "I was testing a temperature control system
for immunity yesterday. As usual, I found that I could get any temperature I
wanted simply by varying the RF frequency."
  Just so you don't think my incubator example was a one-off.

  Secondly – maybe when you  wrote the above you weren't thinking of the
previous correspondence in this thread about the proximity of the low-energy
lamp to a bedside radio.

  Yes, I know, this concerned a radio receiver, what I mean to draw your
attention to is the discussion about the intention and validity of the EMC
standards – they simply do not cover situations where devices are placed close
to each other – so they cannot be relied upon to provide compatibility in such
situations.
  Military EMC standards are more thorough in this respect.

  And as I have already said, commercial EMC standards were not written with
safety issues in mind, and most safety standards have not been written with
EMC-related issues in mind (see my IEEE 2001 EMC Symposium paper and my longer
article in ITEM UPDATE 2001 for details).

  Regards again, Keith Armstrong

  In a message dated 06/01/02 15:51:27 GMT Standard Time, cherryclo...@aol.com