Yes, John, you are quite right in both your comments as far as you go:

1) You are not the only person who can dramatise an issue so as to encourage
people to debate it;

2) If you sold a single electronic safety-related circuit with a failure
probability of 10^ -9 to 100,000 customers the cumulative failure probability
is indeed 10^ -4. As you correctly said, Olber's Paradox does not apply in
this area.

But nevertheless this does not mean we need to make electronic circuits with
failure rates equal to or better than 10^ -9. As you have said (and I agree)
this would be a very difficult task indeed and likely to be very expensive,
especially for any product using software.

So how do we square this particular circle?

Those members who are familiar with safety engineering techniques will be
familiar with the idea of building very reliable systems up using a number of
independent systems or devices each with lower reliability. These have
various names, such as 'redundant channels' or 'duplicate channels' or
'safety back-ups' or 'fail-safe circuits' and many others.

Some examples...
I understand that car braking systems have (by law in Europe and North
America at least) an independent hydraulic back-up system in case the primary
system fails - because it is practically impossible to make the primary
system reliable enough at a cost anyone would want to pay.

The electronic flight-control systems in modern aircraft have two or three
independent hardware 'channels'. Where software is involved they sometimes
use three sets of independently-coded software each using
architecturally-different operating systems and each running on an
architecturally different hardware processor voting 2 out of 3 on every
decision/output).

I understand that the Space Shuttle launch control system uses 5 independent
computers voting on each decision/output.

The pressure relief valve on most pressure systems does not have a very high
reliability, but when combined with the statistical probability of the system
pressure going out of control the whole system is considered to be reliable
enough.
(Of course, pressure system designers must remember to site the pressure
relief valve so that if it operates it doesn't cause a hazard of its own.)

Three cheap and cheerful independent circuits, each achieving merely 10^ -3
reliability, can easily be combined together to create a system with 10^ -9
reliability – achieving very high levels of safety at low cost without any
heartache in design or heart attacks from management.

This is the way that high reliability is normally achieved at reasonable cost
in practice (and has been achieved for many many years).
IEC 61508 describes (or refers to) the necessary techniques.

(PS: My statistical maths is rusty, so don't rely on the above simple
calculation for any designs. Refer to IEC 61508 for more detail).

Regards, Keith Armstrong