Quote : "Who would have expected an unterminated HCMOS gate to be able to
emit 2W at 200MHz?"

Not me - 2 Watts of effective radiated power implies over 2.5 V/m at 3 m!  I
guess I have a hard time believing that was transmitted from an HCMOS gate.
I think a little common sense will go a long way towards retiring some of
these EMC-urban legends.