The "one in a billion" John refers to sounds very dramatic and difficult.

So it may be helpful to refer to IEC 61508 which is a recently-published
'basic safety publication' covering "The functional safety of electrical /
electronic / programmable safety-related systems"

IEC 61508 uses the concept of the Safety Integrity Level (or SIL) to help
design safety-related systems which have quantified failure probabilities.

The SILs for “average probability of failure to perform design function on
demand” are:
SIL level 1: up to 10^ -2
SIL level 2: 10^ -2 to 10^ -3
SIL level 3: 10^ -3 to 10^ -4
SIL level 4:  10^ -4 to 10^ -5 or even lower levels

The SILs for ““average probability of dangerous failure per hour of
operation” are:
SIL level 1: up to 10^ -6
SIL level 2: 10^ -6 to 10^ -7
SIL level 3: 10^ -7 to 10^ -8
SIL level 4:  10^ -8 to 10^ -9 or even lower levels

The standard describes how to select the SIL level for a particular
safety-related application, and we find that SIL4 is required where a failure
of the safety system could result in the deaths or serious injuries of large
numbers of people.

Most safety-related applications that most practising engineers will be
involved in will be SIL1 or 2, maybe even SIL3, and hence require very much
lower reliability than one in a billion.

'm sure that when we are driving our cars, or living near a nuclear plant, we
would like to think that the designers of the braking system or control rod
control systems (respectively) had looked at 'ALL risk scenarios down to the
billion-to-one against level of probability' - to use John's words.

Regards, Keith Armstrong