I read in !emc-pstc that cherryclo...@aol.com wrote (in
<43.47bb025.29689...@aol.com>) about 'EMC-related safety issues', on
Sat, 5 Jan 2002:
>    The "one in a billion" John refers to sounds very dramatic and difficult.

More dramatic than you 'infant daughter' and '40 mph past a school'?

I explained in VERY GREAT DETAIL the effect of cumulative probability in
requiring very low probability events to be taken into account. In
principle, as the probability goes down, the  number of risk scenarios
increases *combinatorially*. There is no Olber's Paradox in this area,
the 'night sky is infinitely brighter than the Sun'!

>    So it may be helpful to refer to IEC 61508 which is a recently-published
>    'basic safety publication' covering "The functional safety of electrical /
>    electronic / programmable safety-related systems"
>
>    IEC 61508 uses the concept of the Safety Integrity Level (or SIL) to help
>    design safety-related systems which have quantified failure probabilities.
>
>    The SILs for average probability of failure to perform design function on
>    demand are:
>    SIL level 1: up to 10^ -2
>    SIL level 2: 10^ -2 to 10^ -3
>    SIL level 3: 10^ -3 to 10^ -4
>    SIL level 4:  10^ -4 to 10^ -5 or even lower levels
>
>    The SILs for average probability of dangerous failure per hour of
> operation
>    are:
>    SIL level 1: up to 10^ -6
>    SIL level 2: 10^ -6 to 10^ -7
>    SIL level 3: 10^ -7 to 10^ -8
>    SIL level 4:  10^ -8 to 10^ -9 or even lower levels
>
>    The standard describes how to select the SIL level for a particular
>    safety-related application, and we find that SIL4 is required where a
>    failure of the safety system could result in the deaths or serious
> injuries
>    of large numbers of people.

Yes, my 10^-9 figure was in the context of your 'relatives sobbing all
over the courtroom'.

>    Most safety-related applications that most practising engineers will be
>    involved in will be SIL1 or 2, maybe even SIL3, and hence require very
> much
>    lower reliability than one in a billion.

You are neglecting cumulative probability, in spite of quoting my whole
text on it! SIL2, if it is applied to individual risk scenarios, is a
recipe for disaster if you are putting many thousands of units, such as
PCs or TVs, into the field. If is it applied, as it should be, to the
cumulative probability of ALL risk scenarios, then *each one* needs to
be constrained to that 10^-9 probability, preferably well below it. 100
scenarios at 10^-9 each gives a cumulative of 10^-7, after all.

After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.