In message
<062220060528.732.449A2A99000B1179000002DC2200745672CECE020A900A02@comcas
t.net>, dated Thu, 22 Jun 2006, neve...@comcast.net writes

>However, the issue is not the imbalance specification looking into the
>DUT connector (test port, diff pairs....). The problem that I see here
>is that CISPR22, 2005 is trying to emulate the imbalance of the
>"Typical installation", and that I do not find any measurement data on
>that, at least not for the CAT3-7 cabling. I do find the LCL (i.e.
>balance) vs. frequency information in standards, but absolutely no
>published data on LCL of "typical installations" to support them. So, I
>don't know where these values in the standards are coming from.

In a 'typical installation', the cable is connected to a port at each
end.

>Again, I am not talking here about imbalance at the DUT connector, but
>imbalance that appears looking into the cabling from the DUT.

When you do that, you see the combined effect of the cable impedances
and the impedances of the port at the far end. So the LCL can be
calculated from the specifications (if they exist) of those impedances
or equivalent data. Maybe that is what was done in order to get the LCL
figures specified in CISPR 22.

>The required level of imbalance for the ISN, combined with the max
>possible (although not always used) amplitude of 10 BaseT (5.6 Vpk-pk)
>makes me uncomfortable. On the other hand, if one uses the method with
>current and voltage clamp, then there is no requirement for LCL, since
>the measurement is done on the cable without any ISN.
>
>In my opinion, manufacturers of Class B products that use Ethernet,
>e.g. laptops, PCs, SOHO routers/switches) should be concerned by the
>still (in my opinion) not well defined requirements.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com