Hi everyone,

Is anyone on the list familiar with the work on CISPR 22 and a part of the
standard committee? I am looking at CISPR 22 Edition 5 (2005), trying to
understand the specific requirements on ISN and CDN for Signal Line Conducted
emission, especially the so called Longitudinal Conversion Loss (LCL) and the
appropriateness of the ISN and CDN for Ethernet (four unscreened differential
pairs).

I see some issues that can affect Ethernet devices, and since there are many
of such devices on the market that are or will be tested according to this
standard, I believe there might be considerable general interest to adopt a
test method that is appropriate to Gbit Ethernet and similar devices.

If anyone has any influence on the development of this standard, and is
willing to discuss it further with me, I would appreciate it off line, and
using my work email address, which is npis...@broadcom.com

Here are just some of the issues I see:

If I am reading the Edition 5 correctly, the LCL (specified in 9.6.2) must be
within the limits on the page 51. I am troubled with the intent of the
standard is to introduce (create) imbalance by the ISN or CDN in order to
“simulate” real installations. I have extensive background in the
associated topics, and I have not seen any objective and verifiable data that
would support the limit in LCL. Is there anyone who might present such data
and the method that lead to the data? BTW, I can’t find in the Standard the
suggested method to measure LCL, nor can I get the LCL-data from a prominent
ISN/CDN vendor who I contacted (!).

In my opinion, it would be much better to define “minimum” LCL, and allow
using ISN and CDN with (infinitely) better/higher LCL. That would make it
easier to design ISN and CDN. Depending on the construction, it may be hard
enough to design a well-balanced ISC/CDN, and it is even harder to purposely
imbalance it with a predefined characteristics. If the intention of the
Standard is to create something that would “look like real installation”,
that could be taken into account by adjusting the limit-line - assuming that
one knows how “real-installation” looks WRT conversion, which is very
questionable.

Using an ISN of Figure D.3 is likely going to affect the Ethernet signals, to
the point that the interface would fail the IEEE conformance (one parameter
that immediately comes to mind is Return Loss) or the manufacturers’ spec on
cable-reach. That is especially because of L3-L6 and maybe due to L1-L2.
Therefore I don’t think using this ISN is appropriate, at least not with the
specification as-is, although that is what some (maybe many) test labs use.

The ISN form Figure D.6 might be more appropriate for Ethernet, but again here
is the issue (in my mind) of the LCL as I described above, plus additional
need of a decoupling the AE-side. The issue of affecting the signals remains,
although the interface would “work” if the only criterion for
“working” is whether it passes data through some length of cable.

I can, relatively easily, construct a 150-Ohm ISN that would be much more
appropriate for Ethernet, and that is well-balanced (not intentionally
imbalanced). It could be imbalanced if required, but I don't feel it ould be
appropriate - as I have described ealrier. As I mentioned in the introduction,
since Ethernet has such a broad application, I believe it might be even
appropriate to offer it in the Standard an alternative ISN construction that
is appropriate for Ethernet.

Of course, the current and voltage clamp metod is well-suited, but the test is
cumbersome and may result in over-testing (worst-case), so I would prefer a
more forward (but also a more appropriate) method.

Enough for now, if there is any interest this topic – especially by anyone
who might have inputs to CISPR22 – this can be taken farther from here
(preferably off-line) and to my work email.

Regards,

Neven Pischl

Senior Principal Engineer

Networking Infrastructure Applications

Broadcom Corporation

San Jose, CA

npis...@broadcom.com

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: