In message
<231db4b2f2634a4c94d87d89a4fa81d201542...@ny13ex011.global.ds.honeywell.c
om>, dated Wed, 21 Jun 2006, "Sterner, David [S&FS]"
<david.ster...@honeywell.com> writes

>If a pair of lines connects only two ports, each of the two ports is
>100 ohms impedance, and the cable is uniform, please explain how the
>Ethernet line can have an impedance imbalance between the two ports?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'an impedance imbalance between the two
ports'. We were not discussing impedance mismatch but mode conversion
>from differential to common (leading potentially to emissions from the
cable) or vice versa (leading to a lack of immunity).

The functioning of balanced circuits in not radiating the signal and
rejecting common-mode disturbances depends on the impedances at each end
of the cable, from each conductor to a common reference point, being
closely equal. Any voltage between the common reference points is then
the  input to a balanced bridge, and none of that voltage appears
between the signal conductors. And vice versa, of course.

While transformers CAN be made with excellent symmetry and very closely
equal impedances to the common point, they are not always so designed,
and it would be appropriate for the system standard to specify the
permitted unbalance, in one of the many ways that can be done. I think
this is what the original enquirer is asking about.
2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com