Most mixers are a poor match to 50 Ohms, and the manufacturer's instructions
will generally advise insertion of 10 dB between mixer and cable for that
reason. Of course, their noise figure or noise floor specification is based
on 0 dB attenuation. Connecting the mixer directly to the antenna output
places two potentially poor matches to 50 Ohms in immediate proximity, and
the short distance between them will minimize vswr-induced inaccuracy. Then
the rest of the connection all the way back to the receiver should be
well-matched 50 Ohm sections.

Ken Javor

Phone: (256) 650-5261

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html