I suppose we all take a certain "pride of ownership" in those things to
which we contribute, and in the following, I plead guilty to that.

MIL-STD-461D/-462D (and likewise companion standard MIL-STD-464) were the
first E3-related standards (to my knowledge) to include appendices
specifically devoted to giving the rationale behind both limits and test
methods.  The reason for including these appendices was to address precisely
the situation described by Mr. Woodgate, and also to provide a basis for
intelligent tailoring of both requirements and test methods, in case a
particular program's needs were sufficiently different from that envisioned
by the authors of the standard.

If the OP had read the appendix supporting material on the use of absorber,
he would have learned, in addition to it being mandatory in the main body,
that the purpose was not to create an anechoic chamber, but to "detune"
hi-"Q" resonances so as to make measurements a little more accurate than was
previously (pre-1993) the case for MIL-STD-461.

The appendix to -461 is very valuable, and the most often given response to
the vast majority of questions posed concerning the standard is, "Read the
appendix!"

For MIL-STD-464, this is doubly so, because that standard is qualitative in
nature and all the useful information is in the rationale appendix.

Ken Javor

Phone: (256) 650-5261

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>