This is a recap and expansion on my original response on this subject, which
clearly didn’t take.

Figures 2 & 3 are about the tabletop set-up, as per my original post and that
below from WL.  The reference in MIL-STD-461 RE102 about the set-up says,
verbatim:

“5.17.3.3 Setup.

The test setup shall be as follows:

a. Maintain a basic test setup for the EUT as shown and described in Figures 1
through 5
and 4.3.8...”

 Figure 1 shows the required minimum absorber treatment in the test chamber.
You don’t get to “pick and choose” the parts of the standard that are
applicable.  It’s “and”, not “or.”

And these figures were all brand new in MIL-STD-462D (1993), and are unchanged
since then.

To my knowledge, there has been no confusion about this topic since 1993.

Ken Javor

Phone: (256) 650-5261