Thanks John and all for your comments.

There is a persistent problem knitted into this issue regarding the meaning of
'product'.

Most inquiries to the Commission tend to end up clarifying that 'product' means
a particular unit and not a model line or type. This is particularly true when
struggling with the grandfathering issue. The date for which a 'product' is
placed on the market is the date on which that particular unit entered the EU.
It is *not* the date when the model-line or type was first introduced to the EU.

The "blue-guide" states on page 18, "Moreover, the concept of placing on the
market refers to each individual product, not to a type of product, and whether
it was manufactured as an individual unit or in series."

Therefore, "Object of the declaration" (and the other equivalent statements)
required by various CE directives can well mean a model-line or type
description (except, perhaps, the very unique language of the MD which
references serial number). But the new add in NLF is the point 1 "1.
No...(unique identification of the product)" and it hints to me of a per-unit
identification number.

Why else would this new element be added by the NLF (New Legislative Framework)
when "object of the declaration" has long been explained as 'model-line'? And
why would parliamentarians be getting so tricky in their amendment proposals if
it were not the Commissions intent to have this be a per-unit identifier?

Regards,
Lauren Crane
KLA-Tencor