John Kasunich wrote:

>I need to type slower, or read before I hit send.
>
>John Kasunich wrote:
>

>>Andy Holcomb wrote:
>>

>>>http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2938
>>>

>Nice.  Pricey too...
>

>>>Can EMC II use a jog wheel yet?
>>>

>Yes.
>

>>>If so what is required?
>>>

>>A jog wheel.  The ability to count the pulses it makes.  Hardware pins
>>to get the pulses into the system.  A few lines of HAL code to hook it up.
>>
>>The wheel you linked to has 40 counts per rev which is typical.
>>

>400, not 40

OK, that makes a difference.  If it is a 100 cycle/rev encoder which
will provide 400 counts/rev,
then you may not want to run it through the digital inputs of any of the
Pico Systems products,
as it will get jumpy somewhere around 1 - 2 RPS, due to the 1000/sec
sampling of the inputs
by the ppmc driver.  Hooking it through a spare encoder input would be
fine, as the quadrature
transitions would be correctly counted, and the total position would be
made available on a hal
pin 1000 times a second.  Otherwise, you could turn up the servo update
rate or rig the jog
wheel through a second parallel port to the software encoder counter.

Jon