Okay, I did some more testing today, here is what I did and the results

starting machine location was (-2,2,.5) from where I want the (0,0,0)
position to be
I turned the machine on
Started emc
hit f1 and f2
right clicked on the x axis position number to pull up the position
change box
typed in -2 pressed enter
right clicked on the y axis .......
typed in 2 pressed enter
right clicked on the z axis ......
typed in .5 pressed enter
pressed f4
loaded a program
pressed r
after the machine was running for a little bit I clicked abort
pressed f5
typed in g00 x0y0
pressed enter
the machine went back to the original start up position of (-2,2) and
the displays read (0,0)
so I promptly reset my zero positions as I did above and repeated it,
and it did it again.

It would would appear to be repeatable

Any help would be great

Thanks