On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 12:55 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 10 March 2008, Kirk Wallace wrote:
...snip
> No, it can serve to absorb it, quite well from my experiences so far.  Common
> sense says the weight of the damper will lower that frequency somewhat also.
... snip

Yes, I agree. I must have gotten up on the dumb side of the bed today.

> >I also noticed
> >from other threads, that the voltage the stepper is driven with can
> >change the resonance frequency.
>
> Yes, the higher the voltage, within limits the stiffer it will be in that rpm
> range where the inductance of the motor is costing it torque.  Below that
> range it should be a wash cuz the driver is chopper regulating the current
> and therefore the strength of the magnetic spring action.
>
> >I think the ideal would be to move the
> >resonance above the maximum operating speed, so you never see it in
> >normal operation.

I should have said, move the resonance down. (or convert to heat or
something else as you mention above.)

> That would take a new concept in current profile control, and even then may
> not work well as the spikes of high current that would imply might be high
> enough to demagnetize the rotor, and effectively reduce its power forever.
>
> >Isn't micro stepping the most effective tool against
> >resonance?
>
> Yes, the finer the better although going beyond 8 steps does seem to be an
> area of diminishing returns.
>
> >Or maybe an RC filter on the driver outputs to help shape the
> >voltage.
>
> Absolutely not.  The inrush currents in any capacitance would quickly
> overheat
> and destroy the H bridge components in the output stage, and any resistance
> there is pure power loss.  We are cautioned to not even hook a scope probe to
> a motor lead because of its added capacitance.

Ops, another mistake. What I was trying to say is, there might be widely
different ways to change the output signal shape.

> >Of course EMC is flexible enough to be able to set up some sort
> >of feedback to mechanically or electrically change the stepping
> >characteristics.
>
> There are others here who can describe the sharpness of the stones in that
> path far better than I.  I'll only say its a rocky road. :)
>
> >Brushless DC motors are just low pole count steppers aren't they? I
> >wonder if a stepper driver could be used to drive a BLDC? Though I
> >suppose a BLDC driver might be better.
>
> And that is another area I'll invite others to comment on.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene

Thanks. I knew there was a reason I keep yuz guys around.
--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,