On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 17:32:42 +0000 (UTC), you wrote:

>What I was thinking about was using steppers to reliably power big iron on the
>Bridgeport scale. Kelinginc.net sells big steppers (nema 34, 1800 oz) for
>$180. If you add an encoder and a G203V 80 volt/20 amp drive you are under
>$400 per axis.

A couple of things to bear in mind with big steppers is their
performance.  Some leave a lot to be desired at anything above low rpm,
and some also have a nasty habit of loosing steps on direction reversal
unless the driver/controller are well set up. They can be "coggy" and
often a smaller stepper with larger belt reduction will outperform them.

It can be trial and error to find a good reliable combination and the
"manufacturers data" on some oriental motors can't be relied upon, it
can only be described as a work of fiction ;)

Steve Blackmore