On Sunday 04 January 2009, Roger wrote:
>Stephen Wille Padnos <spad...@...> writes:
>> This is a function of the motor driver, not the control software.
>
>Steve,
>Your absolutely correct but I could imagine how software could be used to
>emulate closed loop control with a step direction drive. In the case of a
> lost step software could lower the axis speed/acceleration and add or
> subtract the step value from the machines current position so that the
> trajectory planner could take the lost step into account.
>
>Not perfect but maybe good enough.
>
>Roger

Don't forget that a lost step is actually a full step, not whatever
microstepping might be setup in the driver.  But one lost full step is a
never happens scenario, cuz if it loses a step, it is stopped and then the
whole acelleration curve must be repeated in order to prevent its simply
locking in place.

It is a nice idea, but the part of actually making it work is pretty complex.

--
Cheers, Gene
"The National Association of Theater Concessionaires reported that in