Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@...> writes:

Snip

> So have I, but something like that is the exception to the rule.  The motors
> torque was exceeded, yes, but it wasn't moving that fast so it could keep on
> running.  To me that would be a sign telling me I needed bigger motors and
> drivers.  While a bridgeport can be moved with small motors like I use, when
> handling the size of a bridgeport tables weight, I'd want nema 34 motors and
> 80 volt drives as absolute minimums.  My x table only weighs maybe 20 pounds,
> the bridgepoort closer to 200.

Gene,
What I was thinking about was using steppers to reliably power big iron on the
Bridgeport scale. Kelinginc.net sells big steppers (nema 34, 1800 oz) for
$180. If you add an encoder and a G203V 80 volt/20 amp drive you are under
$400 per axis.

That is a pretty attractive price and makes retrofitting old Faunic based
machines with their screwy AMP's with resolver feedback instead of tachs a
whole lot more reasonable. A stepper based conversion would not have the
performance of a servo system but could still be useful in a home shop.

I don't have a machine in mind... just thinking.

Roger