Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Roger wrote:
>

> If a step motor loses a step due to excessive loading, then it's likely
> to miss many steps.  The one motor will be stalled while the software
> ramps the speed down on the other joints, so the part is already likelly
> to be ruined.  At some random time, the stalled motor will start moving
> again, but it's trailing the position it should be in.  The motion
> controller can't speed the motor up to catch up to where it should be
> (ask it for a little more, like you'd do with a servo), since it's
> already at or beyond its limits or it wouldn't have stalled in the first
> place.
>

>> Not perfect but maybe good enough.
>>
> Could be.  This has been discussed at length, both here and by various
> Geckodrive folks.  EMC2 has the ability to get feedback, and it has the
> ability to apply feed rate overrides in realtime.  If you can figure out
> an algorithm to marry the two to get pseudo-servo steppers then I'd be
> happy to review your code - patches gratefully accepted ;)

Before I used the original EMC, I had an Allen-Bradley 7320 control, a
1978 vintage, 16-bit minicomputer.  It had a feedrate compensation
scheme.  If any axis exceeded a first threshold of following error, it
would reduce feedrate to 50% of commanded F value.  When the error was
reduced, it would go back to 100%.  When this happened, my Bridgeport
would start rocking like a bobble-head!  It was quite comical, but not
something I liked to see!  I think the coupling could easily excite a
resonance of the machine's mounting, and lead to it tipping over.  You
need to reduce feedrate abruptly to contstrain the following error, but
a gentle resumption of feedrate would be much better.

Jon