On Jan 15, 2009, at 7:22 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Thursday 15 January 2009, Tom wrote:
>> Tom <kestrel...@...> writes:
>>
>> Sorry for the repeated image. That was supposed to be...
>>
>> http://www.foxpointdesign.com/cnc_stuff/ttclamp1-sm.jpg
>>
>> Tom
>
> I have to say that is absolutely beautiful work, Tom.  You should
> be proud to
> display it to potential customers, and they should likewise be
> impressed.
>
> But since I'm an old biker myself, I would never install a part
> like that on
> my bike, I have first hand seen the results of a broken one.  At
> about 45mph.
> At first we thought he would be in a wheelchair the rest of his
> life, but he
> never made it from the bed to the wheelchair.  That part needs more
> mass,
> lots more.

Indeed, really nice work. Good to see that level of workmanship on
converted machines driven with EMC.

On a big bike 4140, 4340 might be more appropriate material. Heat
treat and chrome.
Of course it is much more difficult to machine. It just depends on
what your body is worth. ;-)
Now if you really want to go nice Ti6Al4V would be the cats meow.
(mucho  $$$).

Dave