On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Ted Hyde wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:55:56 -0500
> From: Ted Hyde <laser...@gmail.com>
> To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Mesa 5i23 and 7i37 I/O problem
>
> Peter Wallace wrote:
>>> Also the: setp watchdog.timeout_ns line is commented out
>
>>> Perhaps someone thought that the watchdog would be disabled if this value
> is
>>> not set.
>
>>> I think with the current driver, the watchdog cannot be disabled, probably
>>> good thing...
>
>>> So at least the first fix is to uncomment the two watchdog related lines
> in
>>> m5i23.hal
>
> In my PRE-2.2.8 TESTING setup, performing anything with the watchdog on the
> HM2 7i43 caused errors, hence its inclusion, but being commented out. For
> the sake of function, I just assumed that portion of the driver wasn't
> completed yet. (Keep in mind this was back in October '08). Significant
> improvements have been made to the drivers and firmware since then.
>
> Those hal configs weren't tested on a 5i2x (or anything else for that
> matter) on my setup, as at the time all I had were the 7i43s. Since the 5i20
> is the more mature hardware, one could conclude that the 'dog function is
> completely capable. Side note also that the 5i2x has additional, separate
> thread calls for gpio (can't recall if you're using them) - that the 7i43
> file doesn't use currently (IIRC, per Peter, due to EPP timing
> restrictions).

Actually there is no difference in the hostmot2 watchdog feature firmware wise
between any of the cards (7I43/5I20/5I22/5I23)

I doubt there is any driver difference either as the mid level (hostmot2) code
is the common for all cards, the only difference between PCI and EPP cards is
the lowest level data transfer method. It is this transfer method that limits
EPP mode to single thread access.

> Ted.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics