Tom <kestrel...@...> writes:

snip

> OK... I am going to step in here at this point and say "Whoa pardner!"
>
> Yes, you can be a millimeter off in some areas with very little penalty, but
> in
> other respects a millimeter difference can defeat your ability to get off the
> ground ... or another millimeter placement of the balance point aft of the
> c.g.
> (center of gravity) will improve control response - but can produce a sharp
> stall with a tendency to roll inverted...

Tom,
I've got to assume you are speaking in hyperbole. A 3m 120kg ultralight is
3000mm long. Each mm offset of the center of gravity (120kg/3000mm) is 40 grams
or about 1.5 oz. I would think that what you had for breakfast or which way you
leaned would have much more of an affect on center of gravity or balance. People
build ultralights out of pop riveted lawn chair aluminum that fly. I'm sure that
not all of these are built on surface plates with interferometers. I think that
10mm's of accuracy is more than enough for a low performance airplane.

Peter,
As to large volume routers, the neatest one I saw was a 5 axis robot arm mounted
on a track used for carving boat hulls. The track was the X axis and the Y,A,B
and Z were done using the robots native movements. It may have been a surplus
welding robot.

I think you would need a mathematician to figure out the kinematics.

Good Luck,
Roger