Hello all!

Here are some thoughts:

Precision

Actually airplanes are a big like boats, not very precise. Consider a bunch
of aluminum panels put together by hand with rivets, or wood spars with
cloth covering. I fly two different Cessna 172s and they are supposed to be
identical but have very different feel to them. I think +/-1 mm or worse
would be fine. Probably 1 mm per meter of range would be OK too, especially
if any error is symmetrical. Look at a 10 meter long wooden airplane from
the 1930s - they fly fine - and I would be very surprised if they had
millimeter precision!

Dimensions

The wing isn't very thick - perhaps only 4 inches or so. A bit more if it is
to be done in one block with the "dihedral" i.e. the vee-in-the-middle. The
fuselage would be no more than 1,5-2 meters from the lowest point to
highest. Less if the "empennage" (i.e. tail feathers) would be made
separately. If one wing where to be made at the time they would be 5,5
meters each, and the fuselage would be maybe 8 meters - less since the
engine cowling would be made separate.

Assembly from smaller parts

This is of course an option - but wouldn't it be nice to just put a big
block up and have "instant airplane"! Just add the skin. but I agree that
it's probably wiser to calm down a little and limit the size to say 6 x 1,6
x 1,6 meters or so. Even that is of course massive! Then one could do one
wing at the time and then the fuselage.

I am thinking perhaps assembling a frame from scaffolding tubing - then it
can be disassembled too!

The main thing I am thinking about is how to make something work over such a
long distance as 6 meters. Perhaps a linear motor and a bicycle chain(s)
with a tensioner could be used for the long axis? Those parts are plentiful!
How to make an accurate sensor is then the question. Although if a beefy
stepper operates the chain cog and an initial calibration is performed then
perhaps that is good enough.

Has anyone attempted something like this before? Ideas?

Perhaps I will try to build something smaller first and experiment!

Best regards, everyone!

/Peter