On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 17:42 -0400, John Kasunich wrote:
> dave wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > CPU is a 1200 Duron, with an m5i20/7i33. The encoders show movement when
> > I rotate the ballscrew and scale properly.
>
> Good.
>
> > I'm attempting to bring up an m5i20 with the hm2 driver.
> >
> > I've been thru the battery box servo setup and am getting good response
> > out of the servo amps.
>
> Good.
>
> > However, my troubleshooting of the process from there on is not so good.
> > I get no movement from the gui (either tkemc or axis).
>
> I assume you mean the motors don't move.  Does the commanded position as
> shown by the DRO change?  If so, then EMC is telling HAL to move the
> motors, and something in HAL isn't right.  I would expect a following
> error in that case, unless you have your following error limit set very
> high.
>
> > Attempts to drop down a level and use the m5i20_pidtest.hal also elicit
> > no movement.
> >
> > If I invoke the pidtest.hal from the command line then I get:
> >
> > Script started on Thu 26 Mar 2009 01:53:54 PM PDT
> > ^[]0;d...@cinci:
> > ~/emc2-trunk/configs/m5i20^gd...@cinci:~/emc2-trunk/configs/m5i20$
> > halrun -I m5i20-p^G^H^[[K^H^[[K_pidtest.hal ^M
> > insmod: error inserting '/home/dave/emc2-trunk/rtlib/threads.ko': -1
> > Unknown symbol in module^M
> > m5i20_pidtest.hal:11: exit value: 1^M
> > m5i20_pidtest.hal:11: insmod failed, returned -1^M
> >

> > copied from dmesg output;
> >
> >   560.316311] RTAI[sched]: timer setup = 2010 ns, resched latency = 2688
> > ns.
> > [  560.438023] RTAI[math]: loaded.
> > [  560.776873] threads: Unknown parameter `period'
>
> Here is one problem - the threads component takes parameters named
> "period1", "period2", etc.  Not "period".  That must be an error in
> pidtest.hal.
>
> > [  580.567152] RTAI[math]: unloaded.
> > [  580.644862] SCHED releases registered named ALIEN RTGLBF
> > [  580.666341] RTAI[malloc]: unloaded.
> >
> > However, if I hand type the m5i20_pidtest.hal then I get thru the whole
> > script but still get no output.
>
> When you type it manually, do you type "period" or "period1"?
>
> The "period" thing doesn't explain the lack of motion, it just explains
> why you are having trouble running pidtest.  Fix that first.  Once you
> can run pidtest with no errors, you can start digging into the real problem.
>
> > The siggen sine wave (using halmeter) is on siggen, Xpos, and
> > pid.0.command but no place else.
> >
> > Where do I go from here?
>
> pid.0.output ;-)
>
> You need to follow the flow of the signal through the system.  When you
> see something that doesn't make sense, investigate.
>
> Run pidtest, and check the following:
>
> Are you getting any output from the PID loops?  Halcmd show or halmeter
> on pid.0.output will tell you.
>
> If no output from PID:
>
>      Are the PID loops enabled?  (They have enable pins, use halcmd
> [...]
Things are automagically better!
Scripts runs after fixing the period.
I do need to set the enable manually but that is minor. note: enable is
for dacs and pid.
DACS now show signal.

Watchdog code;
# enable a 16ms watchdog and DAC auto reset
setp m5i20.0.watchdog-timeout 16000
setp m5i20.0.watchdog-control 3

and these can be verified from halmeter.
do I need to do anything else to feed the dog?

pid.0.Pgain is set to 10; still no movement.

Is there a simple way to put a volt or so on the dac0 just to verify I
can put out analog?

Thanks for getting me this far.

Dave