<snip is all and start over>

Am back from the beach and have tried things again.

Finally found a fundamental mistake. 1525BR amps expect a
differential input; so battery boxes give the expected result.
However, the dacs are ground referenced. After I finally caught on I
wired the 1525 inputs with gnd to gnd and + dac to -amp input.
Now things move.

The only problem is that both axes move in the wrong direction. So:
how do I cleanly reverse the movement without having to
fool with the encoders?

BTW-the X axis that has absolutely awful response like 200 ms to  max
velocity tuned to about 0.001 at 60 ips and 0.00004" at 10 ipm.
We'll see what we can get out of the Y axis. ;-)

So the m5i20 does  really run right out of the box. The same cannot
be said of my aging brain.

Dave