[snip]

>Things are automagically better!
>Scripts runs after fixing the period.
>I do need to set the enable manually but that is minor. note: enable is
>for dacs and pid.
>DACS now show signal.
>
>Watchdog code;
># enable a 16ms watchdog and DAC auto reset
>setp m5i20.0.watchdog-timeout 16000
>setp m5i20.0.watchdog-control 3

I don't see how this can work, since the hostmot2 driver is called
"hm2_5i20", not "m5i20".

>and these can be verified from halmeter.
>do I need to do anything else to feed the dog?

The way the watchdog works may have changed.  There is now a specific
function that tickles the watchdog.  In halcmd, you can do this:

show all *dog*

and that will list the pins, parameters, and functions with dog in the
name (hopefully all related to the watchdog ;) )

As I mentioned, you must add the function hm2_5i20.0.pet_watchdog to a
thread for the card to output anything.

>pid.0.Pgain is set to 10; still no movement.

Nope, not until you start petting the dog (they get very needy if you
ignore them :) )

>Is there a simple way to put a volt or so on the dac0 just to verify I
>can put out analog?

unlinkp hm2_5i20.0.dac.0.command (or is it value?)
setp [whatever the pin name should be] 1.0
I believe the DAC gain should be set to 1, so whatever number you put in
is what you should measure on the output.

- Steve