On Mar 26, 2009, at 5:52 PM, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
<massive snip>

> If a bare HAL setup won't do it, then it's unlikely that the full EMC
> setup will either.  (but you knew that)
>
> - Steve

OK, I've regrouped and downloaded 2.3 pre-beta 2 as a deb from Matt's
site,
installed it and modified the hal and .ini files for X and Y axis only.
This is 5i20 only not hm2. My hope was that is would be mature enough
to run
right of of the box. Apparently I've been smoking the wrong stuff. ;-)

With the axis gui and halmeter running I get output on Xoutput and
m5i20.0.dac-00-value
when I  come out of estop but no output to the servo amp.  Homing is
set for no switches or index.
The watchdog stuff is in the configs but is commented out.
Uncommenting it gives errors.

BTW- I'm using the pinouts in the 7i33 manual assuming they are right
and
Aout0 on pin 11 (ref to gnd) and Aout1 on pin 25 is correct.
The encoders inputs on the same board work so the interconnecting
cable is correct.

What I really miss is something similar to stgdiag which allows one
to read the raw encoders
and set dac voltages without having to fight the watchdog.

Rather than just moan and groan here are the lines in the hal file
and the
emc2 output.

In m5i20_io.hal

# Connect watchdog reset to motion controller.
newsig WatchdogRst bit
linksp WatchdogRst <= m5i20.watchdog-reset
linksp WatchdogRst => motion.watchdog-reset-out

EMC2 - 2.3.0~beta2~pre
Machine configuration directory is '/home/dave/emc2/configs/m5i20'
Machine configuration file is 'm5i20.ini'
Starting EMC2...
HAL: ERROR: pin 'm5i20.watchdog-reset' not found
m5i20_io.hal:80: link failed

So what do I need to add and where to  make this fly.

TIA

Dave