Steve Blackmore wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:44:56 -0500, you wrote:
>

>> stepconf should write an inifile that enables "home all" if you have
>> home switches for all axes.  If you don't have home switches, or you
>> have them for only some axes, then axis won't write an inifile that
>> enables "home all".
>>

> HI Jeff - on the subject of home, why was the behaviour changed to force
> a home in 2.3?
>
> I found the NO_FORCE_HOMING=1 in the wiki.
>
> I'm trying to get my head around how to make AXIS and EMC behave like
> I'm used to with Mach Turn before trying it for real.

Without homing, the soft limits have no way to line up to the actual
machine position.
> I do a lot of CNC turning and like many others I know, I don't use the
> home switches. They are unnecessary. I don't use them during tool
> changes I do my tool changing just far enough off the end of the stock
> so the longest tool doesn't hit the stock, really a waste of time to
> travel any further ;)

You don't have to go to the home position to change tools.  You can set
the tool change position to be anything you want,
but the machine needs to be homed once when you start EMC, so that that
position can be repeated every time you start it up.

Jon