> > Softlimits are less useful on lathes, Z limits change dependant on where
> > the tailstock is, and whether you are using collets or a chuck.
> >

> Now if you could quickly jog to a position and say 'this is my Z soft
> limit position' then soft limits could indeed be very useful on a lathe.
> A couple of times I have hit the tail stock while jogging Z. Luckily I
> didn't move the tail stock far enough to release the work but there is a
> potential there for a serious accident. I think I will fit a limit
> switch on the tailstock to try to avoid this in the future.
>
> Les

On my Okuma lathe they had a g and m code for setting up a 'barrier'
area that the tool was not allow to enter. you could foe instance define
the chuck jaws and then it would error if you tried to machine the jaws.
I never used it but being able to quickly change the soft limits of z would be
very useful. Two buttons in AXIS that when pushed reset the upper and lower
softlimit to the position the tool is at probably would suffice.

Chris  M