When I studied Chem Engineering I had the chance to work/play on
KL/KI 10's using TOPS 10 and what I learned there regarding spooling,
OS, MultiTasking, Realtime... and so on... leaves the impression that
everything simply went downhill from there. That machine had no
specific CPU cycle. It kinda ran event driven. THAT was fast
considering the discrete way that behemoth was build. Multi Ported
Ferrit Memory... Awesome and I'm happy I saw all that running before
it went onto the scrap yard replaced by the 'Wax Machine'. Downside at
the time was that the 'adventure cave' could only be loaded after
hours as it ate to many system resources 8))))). 'R GAM ADVENT' haha..
Good times... I am still missing the majority of functions available
there. I loved the entire DEC line and the DEC Manuals are still by
far the BEST organized documents with the clearest structure and
language around.

I still do not fully understand why all that good stuff went to
manure. One would expect that in the spirit of continuous evolution
and human progress the better products are pushed ahead. But CPU and
OS design are HORRIBLE today. I bought a color laser lately just to
figure out that it took me about an hour to fight with Vista and
drivers and the 1980's error messages regarding 'not being able to
print'... WTF it's friggin 2009... an OS should 'smell' a printer and
provide the functions for it. Well.. Apple does it nicely..

Just looking at the RT problems we are having in the light of several
GHz in the background is totally unacceptable. One can be more precise
with a 4.77MHz Z80 than I am with my 2.8GHz P4 and HyperThreading.
When I learned about the SMI and the fact that this 'fudged
functionality' is above the NMI.... it explained a lot and made me
nearly cough up my morning coffee.

All which is necessary for looser technology to develop is a few smart
people doing nothing. And Bill Gates... and all the other Carnies
along that line... HA...

Happy Weekend fellow penguins
Rainer

PS:What to real programmer program in today? I guess Fortran is out
and the Pascal programming quiche eaters moved on to VB haha.

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:
> Mark Wendt (Contractor) wrote:
>> I sysadmin'd a bunch of those behemoth Alpha 8400's.  They really
>> were a joy to administer.  DEC did those ones right - we hardly ever
>> had any hardware maintenance to worry about.  Clustering was a
>> wunnerful thing for system(s) uptime, especially on critical
>> production machines.  Too bad they let that all slip away.
>>
>> You are talking about CISC, right? ;-)
>>

> VAX was CISC, but done with a clean sheet, and following and expanding
> on the general PDP-11 layout.
>
> Alpha was a very clean RISC design.
>
> I'm not sure X86 can even be called CISC, more like cobbled
> abomination.  Have you ever heard of Virtual DMA Services on the X86?
> Doing some digging many years ago, I discovered there is a virtual IBM
> PC (original 8088, 4 MHz clock, interrupt controller chip, DMA
> controller chip, etc) implemented in all 386, 486 and Pentium chips.
> This allows those games that were loaded from DOS but then took over the
> whole system to be played on Windows 3.1 and later.  Yucchhh!  So, all
> the I/o ports and  auxilliary chip registers are implemented to
> virtualize a game's playing with the DMA controller.
>
> Jon

Rainer M. Schmidt
Complex Consulting LLC
b...@complexllc.com